Monday, February 22, 2016

Dress for your shape

Dressing for your body shape is not a new concept but it has been picking up a lot of steam over the last several years.  If you're like me, you've read the brief articles in fashion magazines and picked one of the options given.  You've read the short 4-5 sentence blurb about what you should be wearing.  You've agreed with the commentary and thought "I need to do that."  You close the magazine and forget everything you've read.  A few months go buy and you see another article or something on Pinterest about dressing for your body.  You once again think it's a good idea but don't act on it.  I can't tell you how many times I've done this....  That is until recently.

I have been spending a lot of time on Pinterest looking into this.  I always felt like I couldn't fit into just one category so I got kind of lost.  Finally I thought "why can't I be a combo?"  So I've come up with my combo name and what that means for me.  

I am the Petite Hourglass Pear.  I have curvy hips, a defined waist and a defined bust which lend to the hourglass shape.  However, I also have narrow shoulders and overall I am smaller on top which lends to the Pear shape.  I am only 5'2" so that's how I fit into the Petite category.  That's how I came up with the Petite Hourglass Pear :)  I find that I can wear a mixture of clothes from each category and look pretty good.  Through trial and error I have a pretty good idea of what looks best for my body.  It took me many years to figure this out and along the way I've come up with a few guidelines to hopefully making shopping easier.  

First, accentuate your curves.  You've heard the old saying-If you've got 'em, flaunt 'em.  Just do it with taste.  You should hi-light and show off your best assets.  Depending on my audience and occasion I may do this differently.  If I'm looking for a skirt an A-line or a pencil skirt are best.  I keep the length right at the knee or just slightly above.  If I'm looking for pants, a slim bootcut or straight leg are best.  I have hips and not-so-skinny calves ok, so skinny jeans don't look the best on me.  This whole skinny jean thing can be a separate post itself.  There are so many differing opinions on this so I'll just leave that for another day.  A monochromatic bottom will also help create a streamline and make my lower half look all around better :) A pattern or busy top will draw the eye up and take the attention away from my hips.  I know I said I have a defined bust, but its not overly large so I can still get away with this.  If I had a large chest I would need to rethink this option.  

There are so many more tips out there you can grab on to.  Regardless of what you wear the most important thing is the fit.  If the clothes don't fit properly nothing will look good.  

This is the point where I would love to show some pictures of outfits that work and ones that don't, but looking back over my pictures I don't have much to share.  Both of the pictures I'm sharing are a slim bootcut pant and a pattern shirt with a little extra ruffle.  One is more fitted than the other and you can see that it hugs my body better and makes me look a little slimmer.  



I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Do you subscribe to the dressing your body type theory?  What tips can you offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment