Tuesday, January 21, 2014

cleaning out the old

Sunday morning as I was getting ready for church I ran into the same problem I do about once a month, or more.  I didn't have the right shoes.  Some of you may laugh at this because you know what my shoe closet looks like.  The truth is, I've been in need of this one pair of shoes for over a year now.  I'm talking about the perfect black wedge.  Over the years I have become a huge fan of the wedge.  I find that its very comfortable, cute, and practical when you're talking about chasing after/toting around 3 kids.  The wedge gives my short legs a little bit of a longer, leaner look without paying the price of wearing heals.  I have several different wedges in my closet right now, I even have a black pair.  They're aren't the "right" pair though.  As like most of my shoes, they were bought out of a lack of options.  My shoe shopping experience generally goes something like this.  I go out with a plan to buy X.  I'm always on a tight time frame so I go to stores that are closest to me.  I have about 3 or 4 places I can go in a relatively quick time frame.  I shop these stores and don't find what I'm looking for.  Finally at the last place I realize I need something, so I buy the next pair that will work.  I get them home and wear them once only to realize they A) don't fit good, B) hurt, and C) are not what I wanted.  So onto my shoe rack they go.  I'll occasionally pull them out and wear them only to go through all of the same problems.

So this week I decided to do something different.  I went to the shoe store and didn't find what I was looking for, as usual.  I did however find 2 other pair that I came home with.  I went to my closet to put them away and actually sat on the floor in front of my shoe rack to analyze what I had.  I started pulling out shoes and really looking at them.  If I hadn't worn them in a year, or even if I had only worn them once, I pulled them out.  When it was all said and done I pulled out 2 bags full of winter shoes (I'll do the same once I get my summer shoes out).  As I looked at the bags it felt really good!  No longer will I have shelf after shelf of shoe to try on hoping they would go with my outfit.  I'm hoping to make my morning a big easier!

Now that I've gone through my shoes its time to tackle the rest of the closet.  Last week I posted about cleaning out my closet and getting rid of clothes.  I did start that project.  I pulled out 4 Target sacks full of clothes but I know I have a lot more that can come out.  Here's to hoping my post next week about cleaning the clutter will actually shoe the finished product!

How do you shoe shop?  How long do you hold onto shoes?  Do you have multiple shoes of the same color and style?  Do you purge them regularly?

No comments:

Post a Comment