Friday, January 10, 2014

The Ongoing Battle

If you're anything like me, a mother trying to do too many things at once, then you likely struggle with the same issue I do...TOO MUCH CLUTTER!  I can't seem to get away from this problem.  Sure being a Type A personality doesn't help the matter much.  I can't seem to get to that happy place with organizing all of our stuff.  I've tried to tackle the problem so many different ways.  All of them work and fail in one way or another.  Here's generally how it goes:

Pick the first room.  Scan around to see where to start, which area needs help the most.  I like to get the most bang for my buck so I generally start with the biggest project.  Sure it may take longer, but once its complete I feel a huge sense of accomplishment.  This almost always means I start in the kitchen.  We have a semi-open floor plan so when the kitchen is a mess it makes the whole place look and feel messy.  A few years ago we remodeled our kitchen and I'm very happy with the amount of cupboard and counter space we have.  My problem now is that I need some type of organizing system for all of the everyday "stuff" that accumulates.  I recently purchased a hanging organizer from Thirty One and so far that is helping a ton.  It has several slots so each of the kids have their own space for their daily school work they bring home plus extra slots for other things.  Here it is:

I like the direction this is going, now its time to venture into more organizing tools like it.  

I recently was introduced to a blog that has a 14 week challenge to organize your home.  I REALLY want to try this, but when I take a quick glance through it I get scared and find something else to do.  This is serious business and is a real commitment.  At some point I need to just bite the bullet and dive in though right?

What are your organizing tips?  What tools do you use and love?  What have you tried that you would skip next time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment